Springfield Township School District Goals
2021-2022 District Goals
The Springfield Township School District is committed to collaborating with the local, county and state Board of Education, staff, students, parents, and community in the goal of creating a caring and positive environment that encourages each student to develop his or her potential in academic, physical, social, emotional, cultural, and moral aspects.
Every day we strive to:
- Increase achievement by challenging and supporting students to reach their highest potential.
- Address the needs of the whole child by ensuring students feel healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged, with opportunities for social/emotional learning and growth.
- Prepare students with the skills, awareness, and desire to actively contribute as productive citizens, locally and beyond.
- Provide professional staff with the knowledge, skills, and resources necessary for highly effective delivery of instruction and services.
Core Goals For Our School District *Ongoing, long-term goals
Core Goal 1
Through the use of data, maintain a consistent, school-wide approach to ensure we:
- support the foundational literacy and mathematics skills of students;
- identify students needing additional supports that will build on their strengths and target areas of need to ensure academic success while closing achievement gaps; and
- Identify and provide for students who are academically ready for more rigorous curricular opportunities and engagements.
Core Goal 2
Establish a collaborative environment among educational stakeholders - Board of Education members, administration, faculty, staff, and parents/guardians - to ensure students:
- are functional, skilled readers by third grade; and
- transition from Springfield Elementary School with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel at the middle school level.
Core Goal 3
Provide a learning environment for students and staff that:
- exceeds standards for safety and security;
- cultivates the development of social-emotional learning skills essential for success in aspects of learning and living; and
- values high-quality professional development aligned with the district mission statement.
Core Goal 4
Embrace a forward-thinking mindset in which students are provided with:
- enrichment opportunities beyond the traditional curriculum and classroom;
- instructional technology that fosters collaboration and expanded thinking; and
- activities aligned with career readiness, life literacies, and 21st century skills.
Focus Goal Areas for 2021-22
*Focus Goal: one-year goal to establish priorities and to define specific action with measurable objectives.
Focus Goal 1
- Strengthen the mathematical skills and competencies of learners at all levels to make certain that they are achieving at or above grade level. Through the use of universal screening, actions will be taken to identify learners at academic risk of falling behind their grade level peers and an intervention program will be implemented to address these needs. Progress monitoring will be utilized to measure student success and program effectiveness related to the application of core math skills and concepts. For students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) that provides a modified curriculum, district administration will facilitate the development of benchmark assessments that align with IEP goals and measure attainment of instructionally appropriate skills and concepts. For learners identified as being prepared for accelerated instruction at the upper elementary level (grades 4 - 6), documented opportunities will be provided through the district’s curricular programs to ensure they are provided with appropriately rigorous challenges.
Focus Goal 2
- Continue to enhance instruction focused on reading fluency, comprehension, and word knowledge/vocabulary so that at least 80% of all grades K-6 students, including students with Individualized Education Plans, meet or exceed developmental grade level expectations, or demonstrate growth of at least two levels, as measured by the Fountas & Pinnell text level gradient (for students with Individualized Education Plans where instruction does not align with the Fountas & Pinnell gradient, specific personalized goals & targets will be developed to ensure growth). Specific actions will be taken to bolster the integration of reading and writing through the implementation of, and related professional development for, Units of Study for Teaching Reading made available by the Columbia University Teachers College Reading & Writing Project.
Focus Goal 3
- Further integrate social-emotional needs as part of a holistic learning environment by implementing programs that ensure daily activities are designed to foster knowledge, skills, and attitudes aligned with self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision making, relationship skills, and social awareness. Attainment of this goal will include the implementation of tiered social emotional learning (SEL) programming and at least four professional development sessions aligned with SEL and the science of the brain and growth mindset provided to faculty.
Focus Goal 4
- Increase opportunities, previously limited by COVID-19 restrictions, for all grades K-6 students to engage with the district’s STEM program (Creator Lab) as well as grades 4-6 students engaging with enrichment opportunities aligned with visual and performing arts. Attainment of this goal will ensure that, by June 2022, all students in grades K-6 engage with the Creator Lab program a minimum of eighteen (18) instructional periods (45-minutes per period) and all grades 4-6 students will be presented with a minimum of two (2) opportunities, either within the traditional school day or as an extracurricular offering, aligned with the visual and performing arts.
Progress updates related to core and focus goals will be provided throughout the year.
Today is Tuesday, May 17, 2022