Springfield Township School District Goals
2020-2021 District Goals
The Springfield Township School District is committed to collaborating with the local, county and state Board of Education, staff, students, parents, and community in the goal of creating a caring and positive environment that encourages each student to develop his or her potential in academic, physical, social, emotional, cultural, and moral aspects.
Serving every child, every day, we strive to:
- Increase achievement by challenging and supporting each student to reach his/her highest potential.
- Address the needs of the whole child by ensuring all students feel healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged, with opportunities for social/emotional learning and growth.
- Prepare all students with the skills, awareness, and desire to actively contribute as productive citizens, locally and beyond.
- Provide professional staff with the knowledge, skills, and resources necessary for highly effective delivery of instruction and services.
Core Goals For Our School District *Ongoing, long-term goals
Core Goal 1
Through the use of data, maintain a consistent, school-wide approach to ensure we:
- support the foundational literacy and mathematics skills of all students;
- identify students needing additional supports that will build on their strengths and target areas of need to ensure academic success while closing achievement gaps; and
- Identify and provide for students who are academically ready for more rigorous curricular opportunities and engagements.
Core Goal 2
Establish a collaborative environment among all educational stakeholders - Board of Education members, administration, faculty, staff, and parents/guardians - to ensure all students:
- are functional, skilled readers by third grade; and
- transition from Springfield Elementary School with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel at the middle school level.
Core Goal 3
Provide a learning environment for all students and staff that:
- exceeds standards for safety and security;
- cultivates the development of social-emotional learning skills essential for success in all aspects of learning and living; and
- values high-quality professional development aligned with the district mission statement.
Core Goal 4
Embrace a forward-thinking mindset in which students are provided with:
- enrichment opportunities beyond the traditional curriculum and classroom;
- instructional technology that fosters collaboration and expanded thinking; and
- activities aligned with career readiness, life literacies, and 21st century skills.
Focus Goal Areas for 2020-21
*Focus Goal: one-year goal to establish priorities and to define specific action with measurable objectives.
Focus Goal 1
- Strengthen the mathematical skills and competencies of learners at all levels to make certain that they are achieving at or above grade level. Utilizing the PASS 2020 assessment and the IXL program, the Superintendent will identify grade level standards in need of remediation, learners at academic risk of falling behind their grade level peers, and learners who are prepared for accelerated or enrichment opportunities. Actions will be taken and data collected to ensure that 80% of students are meeting 80% of their grade level standards assessed via the PASS 2020 benchmark assessments, with summary reports provided to the Board of Education following each assessment administration.
Focus Goal 2
- Ensure reading proficiency through assessment that informs instruction. Data analysis will include fluency, comprehension, and word knowledge/vocabulary so that at least 80% of students meet or exceed developmental grade level expectations as measured by the Fountas & Pinnell text level gradient, the Reading A-Z fluency timed reading assessment, and the IXL Real-Time Diagnostic.
Focus Goal 3
- Provide professional development opportunities for faculty & staff related to mental health and response to trauma; ensure this training is implemented and documented as part of the district’s response to strengthening student resilience through the integration of social-emotional competencies into daily instruction.
Focus Goal 4
- Remove learning barriers associated with virtual instruction and engage students with high-quality teaching and assessment opportunities. Students following the full-time remote learning option, as outlined in the District’s Reopening Plan, will have access to virtual learning devices, will engage with classroom teachers daily while interacting with the same curricula as their in-person peers, will be administered the same assessment opportunities as their in-person peers, and provided with equitable remediation and enrichment opportunities as their in-person peers. The Superintendent will collect and report on data to the Board of Education to ensure full-time remote learners are attending as expected and progressing at a level commensurate with their in-person learning peers.
Progress updates related to core and focus goals will be provided throughout the year.
Today is Wednesday, January 20, 2021